I use the same anti-spam WordPress plugin on all of my sites…
It does an awesome job of not only blocking spam comments but also contact and registration form spam as well.
Best of all, no drama. It doesn’t use Capcha’s or quizzes to get the job done so it won’t be a hassle for visitors when it comes to commenting or filling in forms.
And, the best part, it’s free…
Here’s an overview of the plugin –
- No captcha, spam isn’t a users’ problem
- No moderation queues, spam isn’t a administrators’ problem
- Blocks 99.9% of spam registrations & comments
- Supports caching plugins to help provide great performance
- Blocks spammy IPs from ever seeing your site
- Extend the plugin with action hooks
- Theme & plugin integration for any form on your site
- Optional logging, so you can see who’s trying to spam
Supported “form” plugins –
- Contact Form 7
- Gravity Form
- Ninja Forms
Here’s how to use it –
Upload and install the plugin like you would any other WordPress plugin.
Under “settings” on the left-hand side of your WordPress dashboard you will now see a setting “zero spam” click on the link.
The settings are super simple. I never choose to log spammers as I feel there’s not really a point.
Checking the first box will prevent spam as many pieces of automated spam software will search for the WP meta tag so that will eliminate some.
Check the comment and registration support in addition to the WP meta tag box.
If you’re using contact form 7 (like me) check that box as well, click save.
Enjoy a spam free site that’s good for user experience.
Quick Pitch: Our WP Stealth Site WordPress plugin pairs extremely well with this. WP Stealth Site will essentially hide the fact you’re using WordPress altogether so no one can “spy” on your site. It adds an extra layer of security with added benefits.